Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The joy of books


I've posted before about how Lucas loves to read books. That hasn't changed, although he's gotten much pickier. For example, during his bedtime routine, when we sit in the rocker to read books, I usually pick out five or six to read. But, we sometimes only end up reading one or two of them, because Master Lucas doesn't like the ones that I've picked. He indicates this to me by pushing them out of his way with all of his might. It usually goes something like this:

Mommy: "Let's read a book..."

Lucas: (looks at the table of books)

Mommy: (picks up a book).... "In the great green roo..."

Lucas: (forces book out of the way)

Mommy: "Okay, let's read another book. Here are Paul and Ju..."

Lucas: (closes book and pushes it out of the way)

Mommy: "Okay, how about this book? These yellow pets are called the Zeds, they have one hair up on their heads. It grows so fast, so fast they say, they need a haircut every day."

Lucas: (plays with the yellow piece of yarn, then turns the page)

Mommy: "This one I think is called a Yink. He likes to drink, he likes to wink. He likes to drink, and drink, and drink. The thing he likes to drink is ink. The ink he likes to drink is pink. He likes to wink and drink pink ink."

Lucas: (slams book shut)

Mommy: "Okay, you're done with that book. How about this book? What does the happy baby say? Goo-Goo!... What does the picky baby say? Another book!" (Mommy makes up her own words)

Lucas: (likes this book, so we read the whole thing, then he shuts it and pushes it away)

Mommy: All done, night night.

Although it's quite amusing, and also exciting that he's expressing his wants, I look forward to the day when he can WALK to the bookshelf, pick out 3 or 4 books of his own that he WANTS to read, bring them to me, sit on my lap, and read each book from cover to cover. But, for now, we'll play the guess-what-books-Lucas-wants-to-read-tonight-game.

I guess I secretly love it. And I'm sure I'll miss it someday.

2 comments:

leah said...

Too funny- Matt finally started to settle down for an entire book at around 18 months, and Nolan is still dicey with sitting still for an entire book. We do a lot of "point-and-label," which is OK, I guess! The exception is Goodnight Moon. My boy LOVES that book, but only for the red balloon. I usually only manage to get the first part out: "In the great green room, there was a telephone, and a red balloon-"

Then Nolan goes nuts and yells, "Ba-OON!" for the next 20 minutes. If a book has a balloon in it, he's sold, lol!

tammy said...

Sounds like our reading time too! I miss the infant days when he'd sit in his bouncy seat and really look at the pictures and as I got some great language in. Now it's like speed reader, trying to describe at least one thing on each page as he flies through them, slams the book shut, and goes for the next one. Glad to hear from Leah that it does get better!