Monday, May 11, 2009

CI indulgence of the month

No, Lucas is not talking yet. But, he amazes me every day with his receptive spoken language. It's a great indication that the implant is working! I'm sure he understands more than we think, but the confirmed list is certainly growing!

My biggest indulgence right now is "please." I no longer have to model the sign. If I just say it, he signs it. It thrills me every time! Check it out:



Lucas was also showing off "dadada." I'm not certain that he says it with meaning yet, but it's possible, so we just reinforce it.

I had a wonderful Mother's Day. Lucas's daddy always works really hard to make me feel special. And he succeeded. He made me breakfast, and let me sleep in a little bit longer. And, when I came downstairs he had my gift up and running - a digital photo frame! It's very cool. Here's one of the pictures that awaited me.


And, I'm very thankful for my own mother, without whom the past year would have been insane. She is incredibly selfless in all that she does for Lucas and me. She watches him 3 days a week for me while I work, and has accompanied me on numerous long, stressful trips to CHOP, in addition to providing me with much needed moral support and LOTS of empathy and understanding. She just listens, and cries with me, and tells me she knows how hard it is, instead of telling me to get over it and move on with it. She shares in my joys and my sorrows, celebrating all of Lucas's little milestones with me. She knows EXACTLY what I need to hear. Lucas adores her and is very lucky to have her in his life.

Thanks for all you do for me, mom - I love you! I can only hope to be as awesome of a mom/grandma as you are in 30 years! There are so many things you do for me that I hope I can do for Lucas when he's older! You're the best!

3 comments:

AJ's Mom said...

Awwwwwwwwww...he's so cute!! Awesome job Lucas!!!! Love the "dadadada" before hand...and he just looked at you like, really, I have to say please, ok, I'll do it, now give me the goods. ;) Thanks for sharing!!!

nicole said...

Hi, I just came across your blog via "Good but Hard". I have a daughter who has a CI...implanted 4.5 years ago. I wish I had the time and energy when she was first implanted to blog about her progress. I thought I would never forgot but some of the "big" moments are slipping away. Delia (my daughter) is now in Kindergarten. We mostly used a TC approach until she was nearly 3 and had a device failure...she had no sound for 21 days and refused to sign. We signed to her and she answered verbally. That's when we knew she preferred verbal. We still sign when her CI is off or if the environment is loud but she is not interested in signing. Nice to meet you. Nice to know we are not alone.

leah said...

He definitely understands the meaning of the word please! It won't be long before the "dadadada" becomes a very specific "dada," which will be followed by another request- like "dada candy" and then (one day) "dada, I want to borrow the car." Rock on, Lucas!