Wednesday, February 4, 2009

mmmmm, yummy!

So, I commented a few days ago that Lucas has been really quiet since Christmas. It's been kind of disheartening too. Before that, he was pretty vocal for having no auditory input at all. I guess he was implanted just in time.

One of the learn to listen sounds we're working on right now is "mmmm" (also 1 of the ling sounds). I say "mmmmm, yummy!" every time I give Lucas a bite to eat. Well, today, I think he repeated it back to me!!! I got him to do it several times, and I even got it on video. You might be thinking... big deal... but it means that he's hearing it and that he's imitating it!!! Some days I question whether the implant is really working! And today I got some confirmation... Next step is "mommy"! (hahahahahaha)

9 comments:

Landry said...

Hooray!!! He was TOTALLY imitating you, Jennifer, both in intonation and length. Way to go, both of you! I love that his blinks, too...that's one of my trademarks now! :)

leah said...

Wow, that's GREAT! He heard it and gave it back to you! Rock on, Lucas!

AJ's Mom said...

Yeahhhhhh!!!!! That is awesome!! Way to go Lucas :)

Www.lozsmedicsljourney.blogspot.co.uk said...

aw bless him :) isnt he cute? :)

Kel said...

Look at that - how spectacular!! YAY Lucas!

Ben's Mom said...

Yeah Lucas! That is so awesome. Thanks for checking in with us, too.

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic! Everyone always says what a long and slow journey this is, and though it's sounding a bit cliche it's so completely true. I think that if he is imitating a ling sound only a few weeks post activation that it's a VERY good sign. Good for Lucas!!

Jess said...

Sooooo cute! What a big step for him!

~Jess

jenn davidson said...

That is so awesome! Great job, Lucas!!