Wednesday, December 1, 2010

countdown to...

We are counting down to several things these days... activation on his 2nd CI is 1 week from tomorrow. I'm so excited to begin this new stage of the journey. I'm ready for the challenge.

We are also counting down to Christmas, starting today. I realize I'm not alone in this, but Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year. From cutting down our tree as a family to decorating our house and tree, I look forward to December every year. Last Saturday we ventured out to pick out the perfect Christmas tree. After a ride in a horse-drawn wagon, we cut it down amidst the snow flurries. So fun!





set up tree...


add lights & an angel...


add ornaments and tinsel...


and it's done!


Lucas also has his own Christmas tree and nativity play set (great language opportunities!) in his playroom. I'm not quite sure who's more excited about the little tree, him or me. :)


Then, last week I got this great idea from one of my favorite money-saving blogs, Saving with Shellie. The idea was to make an advent calendar out of baby/children's socks and place a small gift in each sock to count down the days until Christmas. I found most of my supplies at the Dollar Tree, and some at a local crafts store, and in about 45 minutes, I had this set up:


I used red ribbon, mini clothes pins, various Christmas-themed socks, and little dollar store toys. Each sock has a number sticker on it.


It was so much fun to make, and I can't wait to open a sock with Lucas every day until Christmas. I think it's a great way to make Christmas more tangible for a child his age. It provides many language rich opportunities also. We will count the days, and look at the numbers, and talk about what's on the socks and in the socks.

How do you kick-off the holiday season?

7 comments:

leah said...

Could Lucas BE any cuter? Seriously- that photo of him is adorable! I love that little sock/advent idea. How creative! We have that same little nativity set- though our angel had a sharpie taken to her face, so now she resembles Tammy Fae Baker. Sigh...

Happy Christmas season- I love this time of year!

Melanie said...

Super cute ideas! Excited for his activation. :)

Emily said...

I love the sock idea! I can't wait until Sophie is a little older so we can do fun things like that. Good luck with the activation coming up. How exciting!

xraevision said...

Thank you for sharing the sock idea - I love it! We've got enough going on in our house right now (I've strung up all of X's school art in a similar fashion to reinforce what he's learning there), but I will definitely save it for next Christmas.

I'm really looking forward to hearing how the second activation goes . . .

Christian and Lily's Mommy said...

So exciting! Love the sock idea!

Anonymous said...

Haven't been able to read your blog in quite some time but here I am trying to make time in the new year. Happy New Year! The countdown to Christmas using dollar tree socks I do as well!! My son loves those cheap knick knacks and i put a little piece of sweet chocolate in each sock. We don't do a big countdown like you did but I do the 10 days of Christmas where he chooses the sock and tells me about the sock before I allow him to see what's inside. Look forward to the 2nd activation and hoping all is well in your world! <3

Anonymous said...

Haven't been able to read your blog in quite some time but here I am trying to make time in the new year. Happy New Year! The countdown to Christmas using dollar tree socks I do as well!! My son loves those cheap knick knacks and i put a little piece of sweet chocolate in each sock. We don't do a big countdown like you did but I do the 10 days of Christmas where he chooses the sock and tells me about the sock before I allow him to see what's inside. Look forward to the 2nd activation and hoping all is well in your world! <3