Sunday, June 19, 2011

preparations

Happy Father's Day!

Lucas is a very lucky boy to have such a great father. He often excitedly remarks that if he eats all of his supper, he will grow big and strong like his daddy! When daddy takes his socks off, so does Lucas. He wants to emulate his father, and I'm so glad that he does.


On to what's on my my mind... surgery. He will be having his recurring branchial cleft cyst on his right ear removed. We will leave home at 4:15 tomorrow morning, for a 6 AM arrival time. I can't complain, because this is the way we like to do it. We miss all the traffic on the Schuykill Expressway heading towards Philadelphia, and it's much easier to keep food and drink away from him when it's so early. We're also usually home at a decent hour.

This is surgery number for our little Lucas. I have a lot of trouble with that number. I think that's more surgeries than Nate and I and our families have had combined, let alone for a three year old in a three year period. I'm thankful for great medical care and a happy little boy, but part of me is very sad for all that he has been through. I hope that this is the last surgery for a long, long time. But I said that last time, and the time before last. Maybe I should use reverse psychology and say that I'm looking forward to his next surgery soon.

Kidding.

I have a couple of stories to share about preparing Lucas for surgery. It started when I told Lucas about his friend Jack's recent surgery. He proceeded to tell me that he needed to go see Dr. K (his surgeon) to have his ear "booboo" fixed. I was so floored, because I hadn't mentioned it to him yet at all. But I went with it, and agreed, telling him that it would happen soon.

Then, tonight before bed, I picked out some books pertaining to the hospital. He sat down on his bed and says to me, "Why did you pick out a book about the hospital? Because we're going to the hospital tomorrow?"... and proceeds to giggle. LOVE, LOVE! So intuitive.

After reading books, I asked him what he wanted to bring along to the hospital. He said "doctor bear" and then "Elmo, like I did last time." Last time?!? Last time was his 2nd CI surgery, 7 months ago, before he turned 3. I was kind of hoping he had forgotten about that, but not my kid. He has the craziest memory, in my opinion.

So, I will update tomorrow night, hopefully. I think he will do just fine, as he at least seems to be looking forward to seeing Dr. K (who has performed 4 of his 6 surgeries, by the way). He is certainly very aware of his surroundings, is quite inquisitive, and doesn't miss a single beat. So, it will be interesting. He's a trooper though, that's for sure.

Thanks for keeping our little Lucas in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow!

2 comments:

leah said...

Sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way today. Hopefully this will be the LAST surgery for Lucas! Those early mornings are tough, but it is better for the food situation - waiting for an afternoon surgery would be really hard with a 3 year old!

Get well SOON, Lucas!!

Julia said...

Good luck with everything -- I'll be looking for an update when you get a chance. Those pictures are adorable!