Tuesday, October 26, 2010


I was too tired to blog last night, so here's an update on Lucas's surgery. I'm happy to report that surgery went well and no tears were shed at the hospital. He's pretty well back to himself today. For the first time (unlike the previous 3 surgeries), Lucas was not the first surgery of the day. So, instead of arriving at 6 AM, we arrived at 8:15, so we hit traffic on the Schuykill. He was the second in line for surgery, so we had to wait until the first surgery was over. They didn't actually take him back to surgery until about 10:30. That was the longest part of the day - entertaining a busy toddler for 1 1/2 hours. Right before surgery he was pretty out of it, thanks to the giggle juice, so he didn't really mind when they came to take him back.

We said our good-byes, checked in at the waiting room, and headed to the cafeteria for some grub. When we got to the cafeteria at 10:40, it had just closed at 10:30 to prepare for lunch. So, we waited until 11:00, got something to eat and then headed back up to recovery waiting. We promptly got an update from a nurse who reported that Dr. K was done with the first ear, and was starting the second. A half an hour later, we got called back to recovery. Because of how he woke up during the last surgery, we let him sleep for 2 hours, hoping he would wake up more pleasant than hysterical. It worked. He was a tiny bit cranky while the nurse removed his IV, but as soon as he got his sippy cup, he was a happy boy. AND he didn't vomit at all either. It was a much better recovery.

So, we headed home shortly thereafter. He didn't have to pee to be discharged like he did in June. He did, however, pee plenty on the way home. We wondered why he was so fussy near the end of our trip home, and when we got home, we figured out it was because he was wet to his knees. Although he certainly has the language ability to tell me things like that, he just doesn't. He's a boy.

He had an uneventful evening at home, and went to bed pretty easily. However, a few minutes after I put him to bed, he was calling for me at the door. He had scratched off some of his dermabond. I think it was itchy for him. It wasn't bleeding, so we put a bandaid on it and he went back to bed and he didn't touch it anymore. He spent a quiet day at home today, recovering with daddy. He got to have a bath tonight too! We don't have to technically follow-up with the surgeon, because his CI surgery will be our follow-up!

Here are some pictures from our day:

playing doctor

stamped by the surgeon and ready to go

bossing around Elmo & doctor bear

getting cozy before surgery, thanks to giggle juice

sleeping off the anesthesia

doctor bear got a hospital bracelet too!

Now it's time to start worrying thinking about CI surgery. Somehow I can't believe that we're going to go through it all again. I know it will be worth it though. We have an activation date: December 9! His first activation was January 9, so that will help me remember. It will be 1 year 11 months to the day. Thanks everyone for your prayers and well wishes. It meant a lot!


Melanie said...

So glad it is over and so excited for December 9th!

Lone Star Couple said...

I'm so glad that it went well. I've been thinking about y'all! So does this mean Lucas now gets to have 3 birthdays?! woo hoo! ;)

Emily said...

Glad to hear everything went smoothly. Little Lucas is such a trooper! ;)

xraevision said...

Sounds like you couldn't have had a better experience at the hospital. That is great news! The photo of bossy Lucas is hilarious, and the one of the bear with the hospital bracelet tugs at my heart strings because it brings back my own memories of X's hospital stays. Wishing everyone well for December's surgery!

tammy said...

So glad it all went well and recovery was better than the last! December 9th is right around the corner and Lucas will be hearing in surround sound! WOO HOO!