Monday, April 20, 2009

talking on the phone...

Lucas's irresistibly yummy tootsies...

On the Pediatric Cochlear Implant Circle listserv (the MOST amazing CI parent community), my blog friend, Julia, wrote: "All the milestones that other parents take for granted -- for us, they bring such profound joy!" in response to the joy of CI activation and another child hearing sound for the very first time. Profound joy, indeed, that makes me think of the following story...

On Friday night, on my way home from a quick shopping trip, I called Nate to tell him I was on my way. He put me on speaker phone and instructed me to start talking to Lucas. He said that Lucas started getting really excited and looked everywhere for me. He then realized my voice was coming from the phone and examined it more closely. We certainly didn't have a conversation or anything, but my DEAF baby HEARD my VOICE, recognized it, and started looking for me.

It's definitely the little things that bring profound joy right now... things like that, that I will never take for granted with him. It also gives me hope that he WILL talk on the phone someday, just like Drew.

4 comments:

leah said...

That's awesome! We haven't tried the phone with Nolan yet, but perhaps we should. His good (well, good for him) high frequencies help him with speech a lot, but phones cap out at 3500Hz in the frequency range. I wonder how well he'll hear on phones with his aids?

Susannah said...

that same comment from julia struck me too!!! that is amazing- what a special moment!

Julia said...

Oh, gosh (face red) -- you guys! Well, I'm glad that comment resonated -- I meant it from the heart. I swear that my life has more joy in it because of Ben's deafness and subsequent developments than if it had been otherwise. Irony.

Drew's Mom said...

Julia, Couldn't agree more! I appreciate everything, and for that I am eternally grateful.

There will be a day very soon where you are having full conversations with Lucas on the phone. Truly amazing.