Sunday, August 25, 2013

Ode to Kindergarten

Tomorrow Lucas starts Kindergarten. I've been doing a lot of reflecting in the past few weeks leading up to this day. 5 1/2 years ago, I never would have dreamed that Lucas would be attending our neighborhood elementary school like a typical kid.

I have a busy week ahead, starting my own school year and making sure that his begins successfully. On Tuesday, I will be in-servicing all of the supporting teachers he will work with (gym, art, music, library, speech, etc.). On Thursday, I will be reading Let's Hear It For Almigal to his class. I'm really looking forward to both times to help make his transition smooth.


At the beginning of August Nate and I attended the PA Low Incidence Conference in State College. We attended some great workshops, networked with other parents, and both kids got to attend a "camp." During that time, I was able to reflect a lot on our almost 6 year journey of being Lucas's parents. As I have some attention issues, I decided to write my own "'Twas the night before Kindergarten" to sum things up and bridge the next stage of Lucas's life.

Enjoy!


Ode to Lucas on the Night Before Kindergarten

‘Twas the night before Kindergarten,

And as I think back, over 5 ½ years have already passed.

Those first few days, months & weeks were uncertain and uneasy,

But everyone hoped and kept on believing.

Hours of therapy, thousands of miles,

Schreiber, JTC, CHOP, Clarke, EI.

Philadelphia, Lancaster, even Los Angeles:

Over time it became clear success was evident.

Advocacy, support groups, Facebook & Blogger:

New friends in our backyard and even the whole world.

NICU, MRIs, even 6 surgeries,

All before you were too big to get upset and worry.

Tomorrow you head to your neighborhood school,

Although you might rather be swimming in a pool.

You'll use your voice, your smile, and your FM system

And all of those self-advocacy skills you’ve been practicing.

Your first long term goal is about to be met,

And now there are new ones that need to be set.

Doctor? Teacher? CI Audiologist?

First deaf president of the United States?

Cochlear implants have forever changed your future

And now we can’t wait to start some new adventures.

 © Jennifer R. Campbell                      6 August 2013

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen we have enjoyed getting to know Lucas. This is beautiful. Teresa

Julia said...

Love, love, love!!! Yeah, I remember having the same period of reflection a year ago when Ben started kindergarten. Looking back at the journey, marveling at the transformation of our hopes and uncertainty into the reality of a normal, happy, thriving childhood. I hope Lucas has a great first day and a great year.

Kate said...

This is SO encouraging for me (3.5 year old son with CI). Have fun Lucas!

Michelle Pollis said...

That brought tears to my eyes! So proud of Lucas and grateful for his awesome parents!!!