1. Lucas's ear is healing nicely. I'm just really hoping that it doesn't happen again before surgery. I'll know how to handle it though. The third time was an easy prediction, so the fourth time I think I'll just prescribe the antibiotics myself.
2. I still don't believe that Lucas is potty-trained. He's had a great week. Yay for not buying any more diapers!
3. This week's forecast is rain, rain and more rain. I'm ready for spring. I want to play outside with my kid.
4. Last weekend we somehow managed to fit in an Easter egg hunt amidst the rain. I don't think we'll be so lucky this weekend.
5. Now that Lucas is potty-trained, I'm able to send him to "summer camp" at his preschool! He'll be going twice a week, and I think it will be a good way to keep up with his school routine and give him some extra language opportunities!
6. Lucas has really been into drawing and coloring lately. I'm really impressed with his attention to detail and how he tries to color in the lines. He's also showing some interest in learning to write his name.
7. It's so fun to watch Lucas pick up incidental language. My favorite lately is how he starts his sentences with "well..."
8. Lucas makes things up all the time. My mom and I have decided that we have to compare the stories he tells us, because we never know if he's telling us the truth. I think he just has a wild imagination.
9. Lucas ate really well for dinner tonight. He ate salmon, couscous, steamed broccoli & half of an apple. AND he cleaned his plate. When he was done, he got down, stood on his tiptoes and said, "Look, I'm tall now. I'm big like you, daddy." What a great moment.
10. Just when I tell someone how easily Lucas goes to bed, and how he sleeps through the night, he makes a liar out of me. The past few nights have been really difficult trying to get him to go to sleep. This too shall pass, I hope.
I noticed it on Friday after school. It was red, puffy & warm. I didn't waste any time, deciding to call CHOP directly to speak with a nurse in ENT. She called me back later and prescribed yet another antibiotic. *cringe* It was nice just to describe the problem over the phone and have them know what I was talking about, skipping the middle man (the pediatrician). I guess it also happened once in March and once in February, so I knew what was coming. Today the skin over the scar was paper thin and almost see through. It looks like it has opened up in this picture, but it has not yet. That's how thin his skin is there.
Surgery is currently scheduled for June 20, to remove this mess again. Hopefully it won't erupt again in May and June. But we haven't been that lucky so far, three months in a row...
On a positive note, we have a potty-trained boy on our hands! He was finally ready, and it has not been a struggle this week! I'm just hoping that the antibiotics don't mess with his little system and make him regress to diapers. He won't eat yogurt for us, so we've been feeding him lots of frozen yogurt. He's not complaining!!
1. This picture was taken yesterday at our favorite local outdoor eating spot. It was 80 degrees yesterday, and cool and rainy again today. I'm ready for some consistent spring weather. Enough with the weather yo-yo-ing!
2. Lucas heads to CHOP with his daddy tomorrow to see Dr. K about his ear. I'm anxious to hear what his recommendation is. It doesn't like like the "cyst" has exactly returned, but who knows. We're still praying for no surgery.
3. Operation peepeeonthepotty has been somewhat successful over the past few days. I decided to forgo the training diapers and go right for the big boy underwear. Although he's had a few accidents, he's doing really well! I've vowed not to buy any more diapers.
4. I went through all of Lucas's spring/summer clothes last night, and I am soooo ready to put away his winter wardrobe and break out some new looks!
5. We took Lucas to see Hop on Saturday afternoon. It was not as good as Tangled, but he sat through most of it. He even ate almost an entire small popcorn by himself. Scary.
6. I ordered some extra Aloksak bags today from Amazon. Summer swimming with hearing, "hear" we come!
7. Lucas had a conversation with my dad on my cell phone tonight (speaker phone). It will never, ever get old that he is able to do that.
8. Lucas has a new obsession with our cats. It's a good thing that we have the most.tolerant.cats.on.earth. They even seem to like the attention. Our one cat is as big as Lucas is.
This one was taken after Lucas pulled Sammy off the back of the couch. He didn't seem to mind though, because he is there willingly in the picture.
9. We're busy making summer plans! It's less than 2 months now until summer break, when I get to spend some major quality time with my boy! I have so many ideas for some great language-rich experiences!
10. Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time that Lucas took off and hid or dismantled his new ear... that's exciting!!!
Lucas was born with profound bilateral sensorineural hearing loss to two hearing parents. He wore hearing aids starting at 3 months, but he got no benefit from them, as we soon found out. He received a cochlear implant in his right ear 3 days after his first birthday. His second ear was implanted 1 month before his third birthday. Cochlear implants have changed Lucas's life immensely. This site was developed to chronicle his life and progress learning to listen and speak!