Sunday, October 11, 2009

riding in the car


Riding in the car has always been a challenging environment for Lucas to keep his processor on (and for all young CI kids). And, although he has his moments, he generally has been leaving it alone, yay! Even on the way to and from toddler group (20 minutes each way), he doesn't touch it. I hope it's a new trend.

I noticed today in the car that he was falling asleep, and I really wanted him to wait until we got home. So I decided to try and verbally engage him, which usually isn't possible, and I didn't think would work anyway, because of the noise of the car, etc. Surprise, surprise.

I sang "if you're happy and you know it," and he perked up to clap his hands, stomp his feet, and shout hurray. Then I sang "the wheels on the bus" and he did some of the motions too. For the last part of the trip, until we got home, I asked him to do different things, like "say hi to mommy," and "point to the trees."

Needless to say, we made it home without him falling asleep, and I just realized that my baby can understand me in the car. Talk about exciting! It's no longer wasted time. That is, if he continues to leave his ear on. :)

3 comments:

tammy said...

Oh this must feel so great! We have made it almost to school ONCE with one CI ... shocking! I have been just as surprised at how much Aiden can actually hear in the car. Now I want to get the whole Ipod hookup so we can listen to his music. Here's hoping for more road trips with CIs on!

leah said...

Yay for leaving his ear on!! Soon he'll be leaving it on for longer and longer. I'm thinking about getting the music links for our mini DVD player (for LONG car rides, like the 3 hour trip we're taking to Rochester next week).

Nolan's been leaving his hearing aids on in the car for short journeys. Right around the age of 2, he finally seemed to "get" that those things in his ears help him to hear, lol!

He'll even ask for me to fix them when they fall out. Of course, when he calls, "EAR BROKEN!" I always have a mini heart attack, but usually he just means that it has flopped off his ear, lol!@

Mom to Toes said...

That's so great! These moments mean so much. You have a hurdle you've come to treat as a normal part of life. Then suddenly the hurdle is gone. It is so liberating!

I updated my blog list with your new addy. Thanks! I think I have several others that need updated. I need to keep up with my site maintenance. LOL!